As modern medicine continues to advance we continue to learn more and more about what we need to do in order to stay safe and healthy. This means finding new, innovative ways to keep our homes, offices, and public spaces clean and free of contagions. With the advent of COVD-19 the importance of disinfecting has amplified in ways we as a species never conceived to be possible.
Keeping spaces clean and safe comes in many forms. Commonplace household items such as sprays, solvents, and wipes can be found in any supermarket or convenience store. They come in a variety of sizes that can be easily stored in drawers and cabinets as well as smaller areas like glove compartments, purses, and backpacks. But as we learn more, we find that these products are not always as effective as we need them to be.
Using UV Light
Ultraviolet lights have been used for over a century to aid in the disinfection of items and surfaces. There are three types of UV light-
- UV-A which has a range of 315 to 400 nanometers
- UV-B which has a range of 280 to 315 nanometers
- UV-C which has a range of 100 to 280 nanometers
The primary differences between these three types of radiation can be found in how deeply they penetrate the skin and their biological activity. UV-C has the most energy that is capable of disinfecting. It does this by destroying the bonds holding together the RNA or DNA of a virus or bacteria, weakening it to the point of inefficacy. How well it disinfects depends on three key variables-
- How much optical energy is being delivered by the source
- The amount of time exposed to the UV-C light’s source
- The distance between the surface being disinfected and the source
The type of surface can also make a difference, as smooth surfaces such as marble are easier to disinfect than cloth.
The Ideal Alternative
The best solution for disinfecting depends greatly on the severity of what you want to remove and the surface you’re trying to disinfect. Electrostatic sprayers, disinfect foggers, and other types of sanitizer spray are popular but not always the right choice. 5 Stage UV Light Air Purifiers are a 5-in-1 eco-friendly choice that can do the following-
- Conquer everyday allergens, dust mites, dander, fungus, dust, pollen, and mold
- Utilize activated charcoal to remove fumes, smoke, odors and toxins in the air
- Use photocatalytic oxidation through UV wave bulbs to break down volatile organic compounds and convert them into oxygen
Protect Your Home or Business
Bio-Defenders proudly carries all of these products and more to help you disinfect the places that matter most to you. Whether it’s schools, churches, offices, or your own home, we guarantee we carry the perfect product to help you through the COVID-19 pandemic. Visit our store to learn more about your options.